Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Zipcar Catastrophe...

I've been a member of zipcar for over a year now. For those of you who don't know what Zipcar is, it is an online car reservation system. You sign up, and have access to rent cars all over DC. I think it exists in New York and other big cities in the US as well. These vehicles range from small to intermediate, and much fancier models. The prices of course varies depending on the car. They are located at different points in the city, and the metro area around dc, including VA and MD. www.zipcar.com


So last week, my friend Jenny finally gave birth to a healthy baby boy - Matthew John Hemmick. Both are doing really well. Luis and I rented a car to visit her in the hospital early last week. The following day, I received an email from Zipcar to confirm a reservation I had for that Friday, after work. I thought maybe I accidentally reserved it, making a mistake and so I went online and simply cancelled it. A couple of days later, I receive another email from them confirming reservation of a car on Friday. This time I was a bit worried, thinking I hadn't really cancelled it the day before or that somehow it wasn't working. I quickly had to go on there again and cancel it, making sure it would go through. So Friday comes and at around 4:00pm I get another email about the same thing. I IM Luis and tell him about this and tell him that I should probably call them to see what the issue is. I do, and I get into this argument with this young lady about these reservations I'm not making. As we're on the phone, she tells me that I just made another one - yes! as we speak. My cell phone starts ringing and It's Luis. I don't answer because I'm on the work line with this lady from Zicpar. I keep arguing telling her to make sure and get those cancelled. My cell phone rings again and again. So I finally answer it and Luis nervously says, "Tony, hang up with her! I made the reservation! It was supposed to be a surprise." My jaw just dropped and I had to apologize to this lady. I told Luis I'd call him back. So after bitching at her for like 15 minutes, I had to be nice and tell her I was sorry. Turns out Luis had reserved the car earlier that week for Friday evening. He was taking me to dinner and had this entire night planned out. He had left a note at home so that when I got there Id read it and get ready. The note read to be ready by 7pm. He was going to show up with flowers and the car. He had made reservations at this really nice restaurant called Cafe Atlantico in downtown DC. I had been wanting to go there for a while (it was listed as #56 in The Washingtonian Magazine's Best 100 restaurants).

So Luis never realized that I was getting notifications of these reservations. I had no idea what was going on, and while he noticed them being cancelled, he kept on making them. He would make them and I would cancel them. Of course I never discussed it with him until Friday, which is when the surprise was ruined because of me...well in my defense I had no idea so how was I supposed to know? So, in the end we had a great time, had a lovely dinner, went to see a movie afterwards, and had great dessert at Cold Stone. I love Luis. He is so romantic. That was so unexpected and I was still very much surprised. I guess his tactic worked! I once told him I should never be surprised because it never works on me. Turns out I was right....sorta.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home